Value of the Cargo & Share of the Container Transport Freight
The value of the cargo in a container is the most critical variable for logisticians to understand and manage the logistics costs of the company. If you deliver your good as FOB (Free on Board), you do not need to focus on the issues that we are going to discuss. If you use CIF (Cost Insurance Freight), read what we offer to you.
For a better explanation, we refer to the “container shipping costs and cargo value” table given in “The Geography of Transportation Systems” (https://transportgeography.org/?page_id=2692).
Suppose that, $500,000 worth of cargo loaded in 40’ container from Port of Loading (POL) Hamburg to Port of Discharge (POD) Los Angeles. The cost of container transportation freight is $5,000. The share of the container transport freight is calculated as follows;
$5,000 freight / 500,000 value of the cargo x 100 = 1 %
What does this rate tell us?
First of all, we need to know the “type of product” to comment. Let’s assume the type of product as clothing (mid-range). Then refer to the table given in the https://transportgeography.org/?page_id=2692 It can be observed that this rate is higher than the high value (0.86 %) provided the table.
After realizing this fact, the task of the logistician is to reduce the cost of freight. How can you do that?
1) Make negotiation
Negotiation mainly depends on your cargo volume. If you do not have enough cargo volume for the talks, what would you do? As ShipsGo, we offer you to increase your knowledge & information on this route. Just click the service finder for the details of Hamburg – Los Angeles
https://www.shipsgo.com/service-finder/hamburg/los-angeles Learn also the possibility of shipments from/to the alternative ports. This information could help you to understand the weaknesses and strengths of the liner transport companies on this route. You can reinforce yourself before negotiating.
2) Look for the better freight
Sometimes, freight forwarders can give better freights than liner transport companies. ShipsGo Forwarder Partnership program accepts very well known freight forwarders all around the world. These forwarders are listed in the routes regarding their expertise. You sometimes can see their freight quotations or have a chance to communicate with them to get a freight quotation.
- Grow With Shipsgo Stories
- Spanish Freight Forwarder Transmec de Bortoli Group Espana Gives Digital Tracking Services with ShipsGo
- Grow With Shipsgo Academy
- Understanding the Container Port Costs as a Business Strategy
- Shipping Lines’s Ocean Schedules are not Reliable..
- How do I get rid of high demurrage costs?
- Value of the Cargo & Share of the Container Transport Freight
- Inventory Carrying Cost
- The Costs of Goods in Transit (In-Transit Inventory) in Container Shipping
- Unexpected Shipment Delays
- Russian Leading Container Transportation Company uses API service of ShipsGo for container tracking
- Turkish Leader Industrial Mineral and Metallic Producer Esan Uses ShipsGo Container Tracking Module
- Turkish Freight Forwarder has increased web site traffic significantly with ShipsGo IFrame tracking tool
- 5 things every company should know about cybersecurity
- How a leading BCO (Beneficial Cargo Owner) Integrated its ERP System with ShipsGo
- Japan Foreign Trade and Shipping Routes
- Turkish Soap and Personal Care Products Exporter Evyap Uses ShipsGo Container Tracking Module
- Evyap Benefit 1
- Evyap Benefit 2
- Evyap Benefit 3
- How Can BCOs Benefit from ShipsGo Platform?
- How Easy to use API: Transformation from EDI to API
- How a Frozen Food Exporter Benefits from ShipsGo Tracking Module ?
- SEGEA Benefit 1
- SEGEA Benefit 2