Burning Cargo Ship Anchored off Kolkata
A helicopter crew winched down one officer aboard the vessel, which was adrift off the Sagar Island at the mouth of the Ganges Delta, India’s Ministry of Defense informed.
The officer ascertained the conditions in the forward part of the ship and later called in the helicopter to lower three crew members onbord the ship. The team managed to drop the starboard anchor from the vessel to prevent it from drifting any further. The team also prepared SSL Kolkata for a possible tow.
The 13,814 dwt ship ignited on June 13 following an explosion on the vessel’s deck.
The incident did not result in any injuries to the ship’s 22 crewmembers, who were safely evacuated from the vessel, India’s coast guard confirmed.
Although there were no reports of an oil spill in the area, relevant parties were deployed on stand-by in case an oil slick is spotted.
At the time of the incident, the vessel, which was carrying 464 containers, was on its way from India’s Krishnapatnam Port to the port of Kolkata.
Source: World Maritime News
- Fire-Ravaged Maersk Honam Reaches Gulf of Oman
- EU is One More Step Closer to Trade Agreements with Japan and Singapore
- Hapag-Lloyd Makes First-Ever Call at Prince Rupert Port in Canada
- KfW to Back Responsible Ship Recycling
- ReCAAP Warns of Abu Sayyaf Kidnapping Threat in Malaysia
- Panama Canal to Raise Maximum Draft for Neopanamax Locks
- SeaIntel: Shortage of Feeders by End of 2020
- COSCO Shipping Dismisses Another Dormant Business
- In Depth- Container Efficiency Through Cooperation
- Haiphong Container Terminal Opens for Business
- COSCO Gets Nod for OOCL Takeover in the Nick of Time
- CMA CGM FAK rates changes from North Europe and Mediterranean to the Pacific Islands
- Yang Ming Seals Charter for 10 Boxship Newbuilds
- Digital Logistics: From Trend to Norm
- China’s COSCO Shipping wins U.S. security clearance for OOIL deal.
- Hapag-Lloyd Dismisses CMA CGM Merger Reports
- CMA CGM Extends Charter for Diana Containerships’ Unit
- Green light for CMA CGM $380m investment in Ceva Logistics
- Forwarders braced for impact on trade in China retaliation to latest Trump tariffs
- Drewry, Ascent of the Charter Market Is Over
- Yilport Makes a Bid for Italian Box Terminal Concession
- Trade war sparks more capacity cuts on transpacific container trades
- Maersk Line, MSC Team Up with ZIM
- 'Overcapacity not trade wars to blame for falling demand on Asia-US east coast'
- COSCO Shipping Lines Falls Victim to Cyber Attack
- COSCO Takes Majority Stake in OOCL