World’s Smallest Island Country Joins IMO
On May 14, 2018, Nauru deposited its instrument of acceptance to the IMO Convention with the United Nations depositary – becoming IMO’s 174th member state.
With an area of 21 square kilometers, Nauru is the world’s smallest island nation with a population of just under 10,000 inhabitants. This developing country is situated north-east of Australia, some 42 kilometers south of the equator.
In a separate announcement, the IMO informed that Monaco has acceded to the IMO treaty covering emissions from ship exhausts and energy efficiency (MARPOL Annex VI).
The instrument limits the main air pollutants contained in ships exhaust gas, including sulfur oxides and nitrous oxides, and prohibits deliberate emissions of ozone-depleting substances. It also includes energy-efficiency measures aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions from ships.
Formally established in 1948, the IMO is the United Nations specialized agency responsible for the safety and security of shipping and the prevention of marine pollution by ships.
- Fire-Ravaged Maersk Honam Reaches Gulf of Oman
- EU is One More Step Closer to Trade Agreements with Japan and Singapore
- Hapag-Lloyd Makes First-Ever Call at Prince Rupert Port in Canada
- KfW to Back Responsible Ship Recycling
- ReCAAP Warns of Abu Sayyaf Kidnapping Threat in Malaysia
- Panama Canal to Raise Maximum Draft for Neopanamax Locks
- SeaIntel: Shortage of Feeders by End of 2020
- COSCO Shipping Dismisses Another Dormant Business
- In Depth- Container Efficiency Through Cooperation
- Haiphong Container Terminal Opens for Business
- COSCO Gets Nod for OOCL Takeover in the Nick of Time
- CMA CGM FAK rates changes from North Europe and Mediterranean to the Pacific Islands
- Yang Ming Seals Charter for 10 Boxship Newbuilds
- Digital Logistics: From Trend to Norm
- China’s COSCO Shipping wins U.S. security clearance for OOIL deal.
- Hapag-Lloyd Dismisses CMA CGM Merger Reports
- CMA CGM Extends Charter for Diana Containerships’ Unit
- Green light for CMA CGM $380m investment in Ceva Logistics
- Forwarders braced for impact on trade in China retaliation to latest Trump tariffs
- Drewry, Ascent of the Charter Market Is Over
- Yilport Makes a Bid for Italian Box Terminal Concession
- Trade war sparks more capacity cuts on transpacific container trades
- Maersk Line, MSC Team Up with ZIM
- 'Overcapacity not trade wars to blame for falling demand on Asia-US east coast'
- COSCO Shipping Lines Falls Victim to Cyber Attack
- COSCO Takes Majority Stake in OOCL