Yang Ming Containership Loses 83 Containers in Heavy Seas Off Australia
The Liberian-flagged ship YM Efficiency was sailing from Tawain to Port Botany near Sydney when the stack of containers collapsed at as the ship was underway off New South Wales’ central coast at around 4 a.m. Friday morning.
Officials say 83 containers tumbled overboard approximately 30 kilometers off the coast in Commonwealth waters. Another 30 containers were reportedly damaged but remained on board the vessel.
Roads and Maritime Services executive director Angus Mitchell said the authority was notified of the incident on Friday afternoon.
“While the contents of the containers are unknown, we understood they do not contain dangerous goods,” Mitchell said. “A full manifest of the cargo on board the vessel, and the condition of the vessel, is being sought.”
The agency has warned swimmers and boats to keep an eye out for the containers which pose a hazard to navigation.
At least two containers have been spotted 100 meters offshore, reports said.
- Fire-Ravaged Maersk Honam Reaches Gulf of Oman
- EU is One More Step Closer to Trade Agreements with Japan and Singapore
- Hapag-Lloyd Makes First-Ever Call at Prince Rupert Port in Canada
- KfW to Back Responsible Ship Recycling
- ReCAAP Warns of Abu Sayyaf Kidnapping Threat in Malaysia
- Panama Canal to Raise Maximum Draft for Neopanamax Locks
- SeaIntel: Shortage of Feeders by End of 2020
- COSCO Shipping Dismisses Another Dormant Business
- In Depth- Container Efficiency Through Cooperation
- Haiphong Container Terminal Opens for Business
- COSCO Gets Nod for OOCL Takeover in the Nick of Time
- CMA CGM FAK rates changes from North Europe and Mediterranean to the Pacific Islands
- Yang Ming Seals Charter for 10 Boxship Newbuilds
- Digital Logistics: From Trend to Norm
- China’s COSCO Shipping wins U.S. security clearance for OOIL deal.
- Hapag-Lloyd Dismisses CMA CGM Merger Reports
- CMA CGM Extends Charter for Diana Containerships’ Unit
- Green light for CMA CGM $380m investment in Ceva Logistics
- Forwarders braced for impact on trade in China retaliation to latest Trump tariffs
- Drewry, Ascent of the Charter Market Is Over
- Yilport Makes a Bid for Italian Box Terminal Concession
- Trade war sparks more capacity cuts on transpacific container trades
- Maersk Line, MSC Team Up with ZIM
- 'Overcapacity not trade wars to blame for falling demand on Asia-US east coast'
- COSCO Shipping Lines Falls Victim to Cyber Attack
- COSCO Takes Majority Stake in OOCL