How do I get rid of high demurrage costs?
Demurrage cost is levied to the BCO (Shipper) in cases where they do not take the container out of the port/terminal area for unpacking within the allowed free time. Although Demurrage fee is designed to discourage use of terminals for long-term storage, and to improve equipment utilization, it can be a big cost for a BCO. When the free time of the port ends, daily costs range from $75 to $150 starts to charge per container per day; however, charges do increase the longer the cargo stays on the port/terminal. Suppose; you have five days of free time. After that, a charge of $100 per day applies for five days. From 4 to 10 days, the fee rises to $250 and finally to $350 for any day exceeding ten days. If picking up your container was delayed for 14 working days, your cost would be according to the calculations of Shapiro:
14 days – 3 days free time = 11 days of demurrage
($100 x 3 days =$300) + ($250 x 6 days = $1,500) + ($350 x 2 days = $700) = $2,500 per container
You have to pay these fees in advance to recover your cargo. If you have five containers in that shipment, your cost would be $2,500 x 5 containers, or $12,500!
ShipsGo “Release alert” and “gate out notification” are the innovative services that our customers benefit and to reduce their demurrage costs. ShipsGo users get a message if their container is not released from the port within free time days. In addition to that, they receive “Gate Out” notification of their discharged containers.
- Grow With Shipsgo Stories
- Spanish Freight Forwarder Transmec de Bortoli Group Espana Gives Digital Tracking Services with ShipsGo
- Grow With Shipsgo Academy
- Understanding the Container Port Costs as a Business Strategy
- Shipping Lines’s Ocean Schedules are not Reliable..
- How do I get rid of high demurrage costs?
- Value of the Cargo & Share of the Container Transport Freight
- Inventory Carrying Cost
- The Costs of Goods in Transit (In-Transit Inventory) in Container Shipping
- Unexpected Shipment Delays
- Russian Leading Container Transportation Company uses API service of ShipsGo for container tracking
- Turkish Leader Industrial Mineral and Metallic Producer Esan Uses ShipsGo Container Tracking Module
- Turkish Freight Forwarder has increased web site traffic significantly with ShipsGo IFrame tracking tool
- 5 things every company should know about cybersecurity
- How a leading BCO (Beneficial Cargo Owner) Integrated its ERP System with ShipsGo
- Japan Foreign Trade and Shipping Routes
- Turkish Soap and Personal Care Products Exporter Evyap Uses ShipsGo Container Tracking Module
- Evyap Benefit 1
- Evyap Benefit 2
- Evyap Benefit 3
- How Can BCOs Benefit from ShipsGo Platform?
- How Easy to use API: Transformation from EDI to API
- How a Frozen Food Exporter Benefits from ShipsGo Tracking Module ?
- SEGEA Benefit 1
- SEGEA Benefit 2